Senior developer (internal candidates only)
- Based: Milton Keynes
- Hours: Full-time
- Salary: £34,000 to £38,000 per year
Use your powers for good and raise the bar for local government digital services.
To develop ICT solutions to support LGSS customers (from multiple organisations) in achieving cost savings and efficiencies through channel shift , self-service and automation.
To innovate in the development of web based and mobile applications to deliver seamless end to end transactions that enhance the customer experience and reduce wasted effort and inefficiency.
Technical knowledge and qualifications
These are essential:
IT/Computing development or qualified by experience to a similar level.
Proven experience of mobile or web application development such as Web, IOS, Android, Windows Phone.
Proven experience of web programming/design concepts including version control, client and server side development along with web service and API integration.
An excellent understanding of the principles of digital service delivery and adding value to customers through the development of web and mobile applications and e-forms.
- Develop and support mobile and web applications, including integrations into CRM systems and back office applications
- Lead on security solutions for web applications and bespoke developments
- Evaluate and implement package solutions for the web, including the development of interfaces to support the development of fully automated, end to end services
- Develop and support computer programs for the web
- Influence, support and inspire customers and colleagues, creating channel shift and digital self-service
- Provide ongoing technical support functions for websites within the partnership.
- To provide consultancy and advice to customers and colleagues within the partnership on the options and best value solutions for supporting digital self-service and automation.
- Encourage and support the team to adopt code standards, version control and test plans
- To ensure that documented code standards, version control and test plans are used, produced and carried out for all development work
Skills and experience
Must have skills:
Substantial experience of working in an agile IT development or similar environment.
Experience of appropriate development applications such as Sublime Text, PhpStorm, Eclipse or MS Visual Studio.
Experience in the analysis and design of databases.
Proven experience in either Front-end development (HTML/CSS/JS and User Experience), PHP 5+ or MS .NET 4+
An ability to work as part of a team and to support and mentor colleagues as required
An agile mindset, able to iteratively develop solutions adapting to user feedback along the way.
Even better if skills:
Even better if you have these:
Experience of working with CRM solutions and developing integrations to line of business solutions.
Proven experience of developing successful automation solutions using middleware, or corporate workflow products.
Must have experience
Experience working using agile methodologies (SCRUM/Kanban).
Experience working on technical projects within a multi-disciplinary team.
Experience mentoring and coaching colleagues.
Even better if experience:
Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage.
Experience of producing pricing/quotations/options.
Experience of working with automation, package management and build tooling (npm, Bower, Grunt/Gulp)
Influencing and interpersonal skills
Persuade senior managers and employees to take a modern approach to service design to prevent unnecessary expenditure
Present highly complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
Coach and mentor members of the team.
Persuade other members of the IT service to make decisions they wouldn’t typically take.
Negotiate with suppliers to support alternative business models and procure services and software at the best price.
Present to external organisations to sell services and software commercially.
Networking, collaborating and learning with peers across a technical and non-technical disciplines to extend the knowledge of the team and organisation.
This is a senior role within a multi-disciplinary team.
The senior developer has accountability for the technical quality of a variety of products, and needs to be able to influence and support other developers to deliver high standards of work.